Monday, April 25, 2016

my heart's resurfacing

Scratched vinyl is the only way I can describe it
snippets of sweet melodies still playing
disrupted by long, ringing pauses
Never hook me up to a heart rate moniter
and before the dust settles
just know that my heart was once alive
Paper boys and paper girls all holding hands
chased by the flame once you said goodbye
and now my hands are empty and my nails caked with dirt
I inhale nostalgia like smoke from a cigarette
each puff more corrosive than the next
if only it was my lungs turning black
Time spent in bed like a prisoner with an unlocked cell
I want too much at once
that I'm left not wanting anything at all
Still yearning for people long gone
hoping they'll close the distance
apprehending that
there's no point in reminscing someone who isn't coming back
I love uncontrollably and leave the cap off the bottle
mistakes, mistakes, memories
loneliness is a poison the doctors have no prescription for
and the toughest part is forgiving










2 comments:

  1. Snapping till my fingers break.

    "I want too much at once
    that I'm left not wanting anything at all"
    I've never been able to put it into words but wow, this is it..

    ReplyDelete