Sunday, April 17, 2016

the monsoon

A severe, unearthly storm had swept over the state of Utah.

It seemed as if the end of our planet was at nigh. Thunder rumbled from all angles, the great Zeus was furious. Niagra falls had been relocated and was now above us, it was raining buckets. The brilliant beams of light struck all around, restoring light to a blackened world.

There I was, fixated on the sky behind the thick glass of my attic window, my eyes filled with childlike wonder. The power had gone out long before, and my two sisters, brother, and I were left to battle the utter darkness alone. It was beautiful, the electricity slicing through the sky and illuminating my toy room. I was consuming licorice at 1000 vines per second, hoping that the great storm would spare an insignificant peasant like myself. 

Then it happened. Time stood still. A white flash of light blinded me and caused me to fall backwards in sheer terror. It was followed by a loud cacophonous noise unlike anything I have ever heard before. I believe I screamed at the top of my lungs, but it never reached my ears. All at once, the horror began. A kind of power surge rippled from the source, reaching me in a matter of milliseconds. Suddenly, a barbie cash register containing no batteries that had been neglected of use for many years, went off. An eery tune then played, sending shivers down my spine and causing me question my sanity. The lights flickered on and off afterwards, and a chilling silence filled the air.

Ever since this experience, I have never been quite the same. It has haunted me ever since, and I'm not sure how I can live with such scarring memories, but I find a way. FIN

1 comment:

  1. can you write me a book because i could read your writing for hours! it is AMAZING and ueaskfj; i LOVE it

    ReplyDelete