Monday, March 21, 2016

my fears have a surface area of gigantic

so
here we go
talking about fears
i could on and on about tsunamis
or spongebob clocks
or radioactive decay
but id rather take you folks to the root of my fears
l
o
v
e
.
it scares me that in all my 17 years, i'm afraid i haven't felt it with someone
and that i might spend the rest of my 76 years looking for it
that some day i'll share the earth below with strangers
i don't know how i can be scared of nobody loving me
and be terrified of loving someone back
but then there's the love that makes my fears thrive
the love for my family
the love i have for all the people i've met
and all the people i haven't
the reason why i would never get too close to the edge
or jump out of a piece of flying machinery

BUT fear is a virus that's wiping out humanity
it begins by planting thoughts of potential harm
and before you know it you've stopped trying to feel alive
and you're nothing but a routine relay race
passing on fear from one person to the next
who knew fear could be afraid of himself

honestly
most fears are ludicrous
and while i may be afraid i'm turning out just like my parents
and they're afraid i'm turning out nothing like them
i'm really afraid of losing myself
that i might become an unthinking, unfeeling embodiment of fear
that i will remember to flush the toilet
but forget to feed the fish
that i will remember to turn off the light
but forget the promises i made

and while fear is what keeps us safe
and sane
it's also what keeps us retracing our steps
what keeps our messages in bottles
and our imagination on neutral
don't let your fear bare arms against you
it doesn't have to be the enemy
it can also be a power source
plug it in your unit
and let fear be the cure, not the virus


4 comments:

  1. "i don't know how i can be scared of nobody loving me
    and be terrified of loving someone back"
    me too

    ReplyDelete
  2. "don't let your fear bare arms against you"
    *snaps* i love this

    ReplyDelete
  3. "don't let your fear bare arms against you
    it doesn't have to be the enemy
    it can also be a power source
    plug it in your unit
    and let fear be the cure, not the virus"

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'it scares me that in all my 17 years, i'm afraid i haven't felt it with someone
    and that i might spend the rest of my 76 years looking for it'
    SAME SAME SAME SAME SAME SAME SAME SAME SAME SAME

    ReplyDelete