Sunday, February 7, 2016

makiNg faCes in The mirroR


I think I look in the mirror a lot
Not because I'm inspecting the 
cilantro in my teeth    or
studying my facial symmetry    or
admiring the dust clinging to the glass

I just want to see myself one more time
Every day
I change a little bit 

My eyes droop
I'm wearing a counterfeit smile
and suddenly I'm turning 17
And I don't come home from school
with my shoes full of wood chips
and my mouth full of adventures
instead I stare
wondering what it would be like
to look myself in the eyes



Would I recognize myself?
Who is that person in the mirror?

perhaps we're all just missing persons
with a search party of one
eventually we'll find ourselves
but for now
we'll just keep making faces in the mirror





5 comments:

  1. "perhaps we're all just missing persons
    with a search party of one
    eventually we'll find ourselves" #stolen


    ReplyDelete
  2. and suddenly I'm turning 17
    And I don't come home from school
    with my shoes full of wood chips
    and my mouth full of adventures.
    YES. i love the way you write

    ReplyDelete
  3. "perhaps we're all just missing persons
    with a search party of one"

    YOU ARE SUCH A GOOD WRITER

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the wood chip line

    ReplyDelete